Book Club: Jace's Letter by Cassandra Clare


This is the first book review I'll post in this blog and I know it's a little bit weird to make a review of a one-paged letter that is an extra for a book series. I've never done a full review of books (except for book reports and reaction papers for school) so I'm trying to take a step into the world of book reviews. This acts like a trial and small practice whether I'll be able to enjoy, collect and share my thoughts about the books I read. 

I may or may not do this as often as I'd love to because I have lots of responsibilities (and I'm lazy) but I'll try to make reviews after I finish reading stuff. I won't make reviews for the books I've read in the past though, unless (1) I read them again, (2) love it too much that I'm willing to make a review and (3) I have time.

Anyway, here's my review for Jace's Letter by Cassandra Clare.


Title: Jace's Letter
Series: Shadowhunter Chronicles
Author: Cassandra Clare
Genre: Young Adult, Romance, Fantasy
Format: e-book
Pages: 1
My Rating: ★★★✩✩

This extra is free to read on Cassandra Clare's official website.

Disclaimer: This review is honest, not sponsored and may or may not contain spoilers. Also, the image you see on the left is not mine.


S y n o p s i s


This is a short, handwritten letter Jace Wayland made for Clary Fray after they spent the night in the book, City of Glass (also by Cassandra Clare). In this, he expresses his affection for Clary but also conveys his feelings against the situation they are in. He then states his desires and plans on defeating Valentine, and the reasons behind them.

R e v i e w


When I discovered this, I was finding short stories online to have a fast reading session. I was exploring the website of the authors whose books I've already read. I've stumbled upon Cassandra Clare's website and then I had to read this because it's short. Perfect, I thought. It's been a long time since I've read the last book of the series, The Mortal Instruments, so yeah, I think I needed something like this, I've missed that series.

To be honest, I don't really remember that there have been a letter made, received and read in the book, City of Glass. I don't actually remember what really happened to the letter because it's been years since the last time I read the book.  As for now, I'm not planning in rereading the series from the start so.. yeah. I'm glad though, that the author shared this little detail in the world wide web. And it's free, too.

Let's talk about Jace. If you happen to know him, or stuff about the Shadowhunter Chronicles, I'm sure you'll love this letter, specially if you're a fan of the Jace x Clary pairing. I adore Jace, specially his ancestors, if you have read The Infernal Devices trilogy or The Bane Chronicles, I'm sure we'll be on the same page. Also, talk about the actors who portrayed Jace. Yeah? *smirks*

His chosen words were poetic, as expected of him. I kinda think it's cheesy, but it's kind of romantic, too. Maybe if I read this as the same time as I've read City of Glass, I would have felt really awkward. If you don't know why, you should probably read the books. The series is crazy, (sometimes) to the point of ridiculousness.

The (frustrated) artist in me also observed the handwriting. I'm not an expert in fonts or handwriting but as I've studied the first few lines, I've concluded that this letter might have been really written by hand. They didn't use a font to make this and I really appreciate that.

F i n a l  T h o u g h t s


It's short, it's good. It's a heart fluttering read but a little bit cheesy (at least for me). But it's not that important to the plot line; no need to read the letter, unless you are curious. It's perfect as a reminiscent piece if you miss the series.

There'll be a TV series for The Mortal Instruments, though. I'm half-excited and half-skeptic. Excited because after the movie, which unfortunately flopped (?), I'll have something to watch for a long time. I'm skeptical because of the tradition of cutting plot lines, changing stories, possible bad acting and script writing, and other unpropitious circumstances. I'm looking forward to it though.

This is it for the review, I hope you enjoyed reading and got something out of it. Thank you for reading and feel free to leave your thoughts down below. See ya and have a nice day!

♥, Lix

COMMENTS

0 comments:

Post a Comment