Book Club: Percy Jackson's Greek Heroes by Rick Riordan



Hello, I'm back with another book review post. And today, it'll be all about Percy Jackson's Greek Heroes by Rick Riordan. It's also a part of one of my favorite book series, Camp Half-Blood chronicles. I'm into Greek mythology and the way Rick Riordan writes his stories is so fascinating, because of the humor and pacing.

Before I totally fangirl, let's move on to the review.

Title: Percy Jackson's Greek Heroes
Series: Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Heroes of Olympus
Author: Rick Riordan
Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Greek Mythology, Realistic Fiction
Format: Paperback
Pages: 516
My Rating: ★★★★★

Disclaimer: This review is honest, not sponsored and may or may not contain spoilers. Also, the image you see on the left is not mine.

S Y N O P S I S


Who cut off Medusa’s head? Who was raised by a she-bear? Who tamed Pegasus? It takes a demigod to know, and Percy Jackson can fill you in on all the daring deeds of Perseus, Atalanta, Bellerophon, and the rest of the major Greek heroes.

Told in the funny, irreverent style readers have come to expect from Percy, (I’ve had some bad experiences in my time, but the heroes I’m going to tell you about were the original old school hard luck cases. They boldly screwed up where no one had screwed up before. . .) and enhanced with vibrant artwork by Caldecott Honoree John Rocco, this story collection will become the new must-have classic for Rick Riordan’s legions of devoted fans—and for anyone who needs a hero.

So get your flaming spear. Put on your lion skin cape. Polish your shield and make sure you’ve got arrows in your quiver. We’re going back about four thousand years to decapitate monsters, save some kingdoms, shoot a few gods in the butt, raid the Underworld, and steal loot from evil people. Then, for dessert, we’ll die painful tragic deaths. Ready? Sweet. Let’s do this.


R E V I E W


I love Percy Jackson. Like really.

I was very excited to read this book because I really enjoyed reading the Greek Gods one and I find his point of view hilarious but at the same time I appreciate the serious tone most of the time. He's the type of kid I would like to hang-out with, y'know.

But the thing is, I failed to finish this book in a short span of time and that's one of the reasons why I didn't really feel like I enjoyed this book that much compared to the first one. It's actually 80% my fault, though. I became stuck at home and became too hooked with the internet that I've forgotten about my books.. On another note, as one of my 2016 resolutions, I'm currently on a book-buying ban until I finish the books in my To-Be-Read pile. There are exceptions, though.

The Greek mythology (and other kinds of mythology) is so interesting to me ever since I was in grade school. I'm living in Asia so Greek mythology wasn't that important to be included in our curriculum, unless you're studying World History and English Literature, of course. I haven't had the chance to really study about the Greeks but I do have some basic knowledge of them. I don't have to be an expert to know that this book doesn't have the full information of what really happened back then.

Okay, I know that maybe there aren't lots of books that have the complete information of what really happened. Nobody knows what really happened and if it's completely true. That's why it's called a mythology. My point is, this book is a good read for those people who just want to be informed as well as be entertained. This book isn't for heavy book reports for English Literature or History classes.

The stories were told from Percy Jackson's perspective so that means it's based from his understanding of the stories and "how he heard those stories". Percy's character personality is one of the best things in Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson and the Olympians series and the Heroes of Olympus series. I love his humor and wits. But of course, people try hard to be consistent with the good stuff. And sometimes they fail to do it.

For example, it has become annoying how he progresses the story by neglecting some of the minor adventures of the heroes by repeatedly saying "blah, blah, blah.." At first, I was like, "Yeah, funny.." But he did it like two to three times again. I mean, I GET IT. THIS PERSON HAS DONE SO MANY THINGS. DON'T DO THIS BLAH BLAH BLAH THING TO TELL ME THAT THOSE AREN'T IMPORTANT! I KNOW THAT AND IT'S NOT FUNNY ANYMORE. *sighs*

Many authors do this kind of thing in which they thought it's funny but it's actually not. Stop it. Sometimes, once is enough. But sadly, that is what fame and pressure do to writers. The book really annoyed me so much that it came to the point that I just want to finish the book for the sake of my love for Percy Jackson. Fortunately, I got over with that issue and soon found myself chuckling with the witty remarks.

The characters in the stories, well.. they are either lucky or unlucky. I'm cool with that but I really hate stupid characters who make bad decisions. There were a lot. The character development for each heroes either gets better or gets worse. Most of them gets worse, which is okay, I guess. It's ancient Greek. The Roman times were worse.

I also like it when the author includes some statements about Percy's adventures that relates to the tale he's talking about. I love it how I know and can relate to what's he's talking about. But it's also a con for those who still haven't read PJO and HOO. How could they understand and relate to what he's pertaining to? I guess majority of the people who read this book have read the two main series. If you still haven't, I recommend that you should read them.

Last thing I would like to point out is that the illustrations are cool. John Rocco's way of creating illustrations are soft, yet the colors' contrast levels are high. I love how he blends the colors! The typeface used is also pretty and its name, Centaur, relates to the whole Greek thing.

F I N A L  T H O U G H T S


I gave this book a rating of 5 stars. Even though I really did not enjoy this to its fullest potential and it kinda made me mad, I was really entertained. And I really miss Percy Jackson's adventures.

So those are my thoughts about Percy Jackson's Greek Heroes by Rick Riordan. If you're a fan of his work, I really recommend that you read this! The book is also available in another version, the hardbound one, which is huge (and expensive!) but you'll be able to enjoy and appreciate the illustrations more than the small one.

I'm currently reading I Am Number Four: The Lost Files: Rebel Allies. See you on my next post and have a nice day. 

♥, Lix

COMMENTS

0 comments:

Post a Comment