Game Club: Lifeline


As I've posted earlier, I'll be doing some game talks amd I'm happy that I'll be publishing my first entry today. Nothing fancy with the first game that I'll talk about. It's not a PC game, or a game which requires a console to play with. It's a game app called Lifeline.

I'm really not big on game apps since I can't get "creative" at acquiring a copy and although there are hundreds, maybe thousands of game apps, my taste and preferences limits me in choosing a certain type of game. Once in a while, I check the App Store for games that interests me and fortunately, Lifeline was the Free App of The Week.

Lifeline is a game app made by Dave Justus, who is the writer for Fables: The Wolf Among Us (DC Comics) and 3 Minute Games, LLC. The player will act as the sole human contact of Taylor, a cadet astronaut that was aboard the Varia, a starship that is on a mission, which has crash-landed to an unknown moon. The player will guide and help Taylor make tough choices as the story progresses.



The game is easy to play since you'll just have to click to choose your responses and decisions. Although you have to wait for the story to continue, which kinda makes the player lose interest in playing (at least for me) but after finishing the game once, you can change the settings to "Fast Mode" in which you'll play the game without the waiting. This is not the "recommended" mode of the game but it will make you more engaged with the plot, if you're not into all the waiting.

Spoiler alert, don't read this paragraph if you don't want to know the endings you might get. The first ending I got was Taylor died of seizures in the huge crater, without any food or water. It's actually my fault because when I first played the game, I didn't really care what will happen to Taylor, due to the fact that I didn't like how Taylor talks to me. But I felt bad that Taylor died, so I played the game again. The second and the last ending I got was a good one. I actually got her rescued, which is a relief and a better ending than her dying due to my incompetence.


I'll be honest with you, I strongly think that the fast mode is better than waiting. I don't like waiting because it lessens the engagement of the player (me) to the game and I think that it is important in playing. The thing that is the most interesting with the game is that it is optimized to play with an Apple Watch so even if you're walking or standing inside the train, you'll be able to play the game and talk to Taylor.

I don't know how long it took me to finish the game but it's pretty long maybe an hour or so. It's a good game if you're into science, space and extraterrestrial beings. It was an intense experience when you get to the climax of the story, and it proved that it really can be one of the many #1 Top Paid Apps on App Store. It's good.

After finishing the game, with the good ending, you'll be able to play the Lifeline: Silent Night sneak peek. It's a short game which takes place between the Lifeline and Lifeline: Silent Night stories. You'll play as the contact of Melanie Chior, a captain (I don't remember) of the Viridian actual. Like what you did with Taylor, you'll help Mel with decisions. I don't think that there are multiple endings with the sneak peek, because after I finished it, I tried the other choices and it didn't change the ending.

To sum it all up, the game is so good when you are deeply engaged with the game but if you're not into the waiting thing, you'll have to be very patient. The game is simple but the plot can be very intense and the pressure that it puts onto you while making fatal choices will make the experience better.

You can download Lifeline here for iOS and here for Android. Download Lifeline: Silent Night here for iOS and here for Android. Lifeline 2: Bloodline is available for iOS here and for Android here. Check out 3 Minute Games, LLC's official website.

Thank you for reading this lengthy post. I hope I'll see you around next time. I'll try to make a better game review next time, I swear. For now, this is what I created and I hope you got something out of it nonetheless. Thank you again and if you have any comments, please leave it down below. Have a nice day!

♥, Lix

COMMENTS

2 comments:

  1. Actually to counteract your statement about how the player shouldn't wait. Many game developers (especially app developers) will use this mechanic not only to feel emersiveness (like how the player "waited" for Taylor) but to make it a game that either we check on every once in a while (and can't stop), but additionally, a game that we can still play without stopping our busy schedules. Furthermore, it prevents the player from burning out from playing the game too much. When I played lifeline, I would send and receive replies right before and after class. It was through this that I liked this game. If you don't want to take my word for it, there are several videos and articles about the "waiting" mechanic, and perhaps you took a different mindset when it comes to games not on the console or PC. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!

      I understand your point and I know that app devs use this kind of mechanic for their games. Free app games nowadays have this kind of mechanic in various ways and sometimes they use it for micro-transactions. Lifeline uses the mechanic in a different way though and I know that. It's supposed to be more engaging because of the waiting but personally, I tend to forgot what happened and lose interest if the waiting thing is too long. And that's what happened with my first play-through of Lifeline.

      I actually think that the concept is cool but as I've said, it took away my immersion from the game. I did not and I'm not saying that everyone will experience the same thing.

      Thanks for your opinion in this matter, though! Cheers. ^^

      Delete