Film Club: January 2016


I seldom watch films but this year, I challenge myself to watch 120 films. My original goal was 50 (long time ago), then I doubled it for years and in 2016, I decided to watch 12 movies each month. It's a daring commitment for a person like me who don't watch films often, but I'm willing to complete this challenge.

Unfortunately, I've been very distracted and busy with lots of things last year so I've just managed to see four films. This month, I'll make sure to watch 20, to make up for the January quota. And every end of the month, I'll make a round up of the movies I've watched. So here's a very short list of movies I've watched last month:



Sinister 2 (2015)
The first movie wasn't that scary and the second one was not better. I didn't enjoy watching it, the jumpscares weren't very effective (to me at least) and I didn't appreciate the plot. Sinister 2 is about two brothers who experience supernatural stuff while their mother is busy keeping them away and hidden from their abusive father. Then there's this "private investigator" who was researching about the evilness of the tapes and the murders behind it. I don't wanna see this movie again, I'll throw two stars to this because I didn't hate it that much.

Howl's Moving Castle (2004)
This is a part of my Studio Ghibli #filmathon. Howl's Moving Castle is about Sophie, a young hatter lady, who was cursed by the Wicked Witch of the Waste, because of her run-in with Howl the (Very Handsome) Wizard. While she's searching for the cure of her curse, she meets new friends and experiences adventures of a lifetime. I really loved the movie, more than Spirited Away, to be honest. The character development is amazing. I love the soundtrack, the animation and the plot. My heart's still fluttering thinking about the protagonists' love line. Five stars!


My Neighbor, Totoro (1988)
Watching this after Howl's Moving Castle is kinda a bad idea because I can't get over how good it was. My Neighbor, Totoro was good, in a sense that I can finally relate to all of those Totoro memes and references I see in the internet. My Neighbor, Totoro is a film, also made by Studio Ghibli, about a girl named Satsuki and her sister, Mei. They've just moved from the city to the farmlands, together with their father while their mother is admitted to a hospital. One day, Mei found an interesting friend which led her to Totoro's home. After meeting Totoro, the two children make some fantastic memories with their newly-found friend. This film is kinda slow-paced so I didn't like it that much, but I love how there are some real-life crisis going on. Also, puppy love is cute. I'll give this a rating of 4 stars (3.5 actually). What a cute and unique movie.

Rurouni Kenshin: Kyoto Inferno (2014)
It's been a long time since I've watch the first movie of the Rurouni Kenshin Live Action trilogy. Rurouni Kenshin: Kyoto Inferno is the second film and it revolves around the Kyoto arc where Kenshin pursues Shishio Makoto in order to stop the bloodshed he believes he started when he gave up murdering people. There wasn't much of action, the scenes were obviously filmed inside a studio and I still don't like Kaoru. The only thing that I liked in the movie was its ridiculousness. The movie and its logic made me crack up and ROFL. Very hilarious, you've gotta be very observant to question some things about the movie and I swear, you'll laugh so hard. Four stars because of that and because I love Kenshin.

So that's it for now, I'll see you in my next post. What films did you see last month?

♥, Lix


*Film Cafe is now Film Club

COMMENTS

2 comments:

  1. I loved Howl's Moving Castle, that's probably my favorite Studio Ghibli film. Have you watched Princess Mononoke? It's has more action and has a different vibe from Howl's but I still enjoyed it.

    I haven't seen Rurouni Kenshin, and I only watched a few episodes of the anime, but from your review I want to watch it! Would the humor/absurd movie logic be lost on me if I don't really know much about the movie/series?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Princess Mononoke is next on my list of Studio Ghibli watchlist. ^u^ I think Howl's is my favorite SG film, too (so far at least hehe)!

      No, it wouldn't, the movie logic that made me crack up are just little things that really don't affect the plot. I recommend that you watch it in order, though. :)

      Delete