Film Club: February 2016


Because of the whole #CountdownToTwenty shenanigan of mine, I decided to postpone the film review post for the month of February. I was booked with daily posts and I think it's enough for the blog that time. But since it's over, let me talk about the films I've watched last month.

Before I forget to mention, I've also included rewatches in these lists. I would like to acknowledge them by putting my opinions but I won't do it more than once. The March film review will be on a separate post because I don't want to make a blog entry heavy with photos and words.

Anyway, let's start!




The Scorch Trials (2015)
Based on James Dashner's same-titled book, I have criticized it while watching. Let me get this out here, I didn't really like the book and it's not better with the film. I finished it because of cast and a little bit of curiosity. The movie is about a group of subjects, trying to escape WICKED. The plot's totally off the books, but it's okay. Three stars for this. And oh, I still hate Brenda's character.

Black Butler (2014) 
If you've read my Top 20 Television Series, you'll know that I love Kuroshitsuji. I'm a fan and I was really pumped for the live action movie. Unfortunately, I missed several chances to watch it but I'm glad I finally did. At first I was really anxious because of the "live-action curse" of manga / anime. But the plot of the film is actually decent. I wished they didn't totally connect the story of the original manga to the film and just go for a whole new plot but.. yeah. It's still charming to see how people would portray my favorite characters. Four stars for this cute movie. (Yep.)


Rurouni Kenshin: The Kyoto Inferno (2014)
Remember my review for the second film of the trilogy? Well, that movie is better than this one. I'm sorry to say but I was sleepy and bored until halfway through. As far as I can recall, the only part that I liked was the last battle. And the logic wasn't funny anymore so I wasn't entertained as much. *sighs* So much potential, but where did it go? Three stars.

Ant-Man (2015)
I can't handle the hype! I love Marvel movies so much that it made me kinda sad I wasn't able to watch this ASAP. Good humor, a little mix of drama and action-packed sequences? Sign me in! Ant-Man is a hero that is all about ants and saving the planet from total annihilation from other super suits  (?) like it. Bonus: Theorists say he's the most dangerous hero we could ever mess with. Four stars.


Fantastic Four (2015)
As a kid, I loved the original Fantastic Four, so I'm a little bit nervous about the new ones who'll portray the characters. The acting was off, sadly. And the CG was awkward! I like Kate Mara (because of American Horror Story) so I pushed myself to finish the movie. Two and a half stars? I don't even know.

The Tourist (2010) (Rewatch)
Can't believe it's been, like, six years already? I'm a huge Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp fan that I almost flipped out when I first knew about the film. I can say that The Tourist is a romantic comedy but full of action. You'll get what I mean if you've watched the movie. Four and a half stars!


Jurassic World (2015)
Who doesn't love Jurassic Park? I was happy when I heard about this movie and happier when I found out that Chris Pratt will be one of the main cast. Jurassic World is about the new and improved park, run by best technologies and great research team. The park now makes genetically-modified species. And then, they didn't know that they made one that could outsmart them. The movie was pretty cool and I love the references! Four stars.

Last Action Hero (1993)
It's strange for me to watch a movie from the 90's, but I found this movie interesting. Last Action Hero is about this kid who got to get inside a movie, an action movie. I'm surprised I finished it, with all the awkward special effects. Tywin Lannister is the antagonist, too! (lol) Three stars!



Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) (Rewatch)

Another Chris Pratt and Marvel movie, I totally like this movie. The humor is great and it's all about space. Guardians of the Galaxy, now that I've realized it, is like the space version of Suicide Squad, a group of delinquents or criminals which were formed together and did something good. Before I go into the sensitive topic of Marvel vs. DC, I'll end this review with the rating of four stars.

Transformers 4: Age of Extinction (Rewatch)
I like the Transformers film franchise, I really do. But this one is off my list, because of the following reasons: (1) I want the original cast, (2) I hate the characters, (3) I miss the original Transformers and (4) poor acting. I still like the special effects and the plot, but the acting is so bad I want to kick someone in the shin. Flat characters aren't what I want in movies and there is a huge surplus of explosions / visual effects. Where is the good character development? Pfft, here's my two star rating and keep it, Michael Bay.


San Andreas (2015)
When I found out that Alexandra Daddario will be on San Andreas, I was instantly interested. I thought it was all about war but I didn't expect it to be about earthquakes and tsunamis. I finished the movie for the sake of the film challenge and it's actually okay. What a pretty good circumstance to have a father who works for LAFD helicopter-rescue and he was the pilot. Convenient, am I right? Three stars.

Sisters (2015)
When I hung out with SK, we watched Sisters. It is a movie about two sisters with very complicated lives and very young way of thinking. I like their go-with-the-flow attitude but it also turned me off in a way. I love their rave spirit, though. Like it doesn't matter if you're like in your 30's or 40's to have fun in parties. Reliving youth in the worst possible way ever, but it's fun! And Game of Thrones references are so good. Three stars.



Pitch Perfect 2 (2015)

Due to popular demand, Pitch Perfect 2 was created. I know that the first movie was good but I was skeptical about the second one. I don't want it to flop because of the sequel curse, but I'm glad it didn't flop so bad. It's actually good but the first film is better. And I love the songs they used, specially the Icona Pop ones! Four stars for the pitches. *winks*


Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension (2015)

When the first Paranormal Activity film came out, it made a "thing" in horror film making industry: the use of video cameras or CCTV cameras. When the sequels came out, they became boring. But the latest one didn't suck like the other ones. It was pretty interesting, with all the portals and dimension stuff. But in my opinion, can they please stop? I don't want to see Paranormal Activity 21: The Never Ending Supernatural Meets Camera Technology. Three stars.


Deadpool (2016)
How many times have I written in this blog about how much I love Deadpool? I mean, everyone knows Deadpool is super cool, super awesome and super sarcastic. He's the super hero I want. There may be pros and cons but dude, he's fantastic. 10/10! Would recommend! Watch with discretion because Deadpool is not your ordinary hero.


Project Almanac (2015)

I didn't get this film. What I knew is that a group of teenagers made a "time or teleporter machine" but then after successfully navigating through the world using their project, they found out that there are consequences in doing their travels, which is kinda common in these types of experiments. That's when I became bored. Sorry but let me rate you two stars.


Angels and Demons (2009) (Rewatch)
This is the film sequel of the Da Vinci Code. And in the books, it's actually the prequel of the Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown. I love conspiracy theories and I love this film. I like it's "realism" and it's dark subject. Father McKenna's death? Haunting. Four stars! Can't wait for Inferno this year.

A Most Violent Year (2014)
Oscar Isaac is one of my favorite actors and seeing him in different roles makes me so happy. A Most Violent Year is about a oil company owner, who is pressured by the ongoing competitiveness in the oil trading market. He tries his best to keep it together, secure the safety of his family, his company and his employees. This is a great film and I will rate it four and a half stars! There is also a scene where Oscar Isaac speaks Spanish (or Latin, I'm not sure.. Please correct me.), and I loved it!


Tomorrowland (2015)
I didn't watch this movie because I want to watch it but because there wasn't any decent movie on TV to watch while me and my mom play Scribbl-age. I had no choice but to watch it. Disney movies like this doesn't really entertain me, which is unfortunate because I like family movies are good. Tomorrowland's cast didn't add to the charm of the movie (at least for me), except for the fact that I got curious about how George Clooney will act in this movie and how would he portray the role. Two and a half stars, I guess. I might watch it again and give it another chance.

Taken 3 (2014) (Rewatch)
Everyone loves the Taken film franchise. ICYMI, Taken is about the series of kidnapping and how Brian Mills, a retired CIA officer, get out of the situation. Taken 3 is about him being framed for the death of his wife and him investigating what really happened while outsmarting all of his enemies, including the US government. The series is very good so I'll have to honest with my rating: five stars!

Well, that's it for this year's February film review, I hope you find movies to watch. Share your opinions down below and I hope to see you on my next entry. It'll probably be March's film review or a favorites post. Thank you for reading today's post and have a good day! 

♥, Lix

COMMENTS

0 comments:

Post a Comment